Phoenix Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Don't Back Down!!!

4 posters

Deck Building Guide

MnRebel27
    MnRebel27
    Admin

Duel Points : 2147487735

Deck Building Guide Empty Deck Building Guide

Post by MnRebel27 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Deck Building Guide
    I've been dueling for a while and picked up some deck building tricks that I wish to pass on.  Feel free to add anything you think I'm missing.

1)  Central Concept
    Deck Building Guide Thought-bubble1

As I was told by FaustVIII when I was new, build your deck around a central idea.  Refrain from putting a single card in the deck that does not fit with the main concept.  As for defensive Spells and Traps (s/t's), put in the best ones you see fit.

2) Ruling
    Deck Building Guide Gavel_Resized

Check the ruling on any card used in a deck.  It may turn out that the card is not quite what you expected.  This is important, because the ruling on a card can make or break a duel.

3) Deck Size
    Deck Building Guide Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN8Wbd3ETcIAdt1lBLTJfig3vGQGBy8jn8DudfG0u8IZXvyyLS_w

A deck size of 40 cards gives optimum probability for getting the right card.  There are rare cases when having a few more cards help, but I put 45 cards as an absolute max.  Do your best to keep it to 40 cards.

4) Card Ratio
    Deck Building Guide Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfxwGeSeFFYYtBRJ_u0rG6Z8MsviPc37YYFPAU4uON_18jjAbs

The card ratio is incredibly important.  It differs depending on what type of deck used, but when starting out you should have a rough Monster:Spell:Trap ratio of 2:1:1.  In the case of 40 cards, that's 20:10:10.  Note that the monster amount does not include the number of monsters in the Extra Deck, which should always be 15.  From my personal experience, Traps tend to focus on destruction, while Spells tend to focus on speed, although this is not always the case.  Finding the right balance between the two is imperative for any deck.

5) Consistency
    Deck Building Guide 42-15316368

Consider the consistency of your deck.  To give the percentages of the availability of a specific card, 1/40 = 2.5%, 2/40 = 5.0%, and 3/40 is 7.5%.  To increase the likelihood of getting the right cards, draw power and search engine cards are greatly advised.

6) Research
    Deck Building Guide Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_4stNwmnxIBI2LwkDNZPkPGLaApsxD-k9So6wk5PGqYGHHNR5lA

To me, this is the most important aspect of deck building.  Researching makes up for the lack of knowledge we have, as well as increasing the card database in our head.  It is how the best combos are normally found.  I suggest to utilize the card tags if deck building on YN.  After deciding on a concept, simplify it into as few words as you can and search for it in the card database of YN or DN.  For example, if you want to make a Dragon deck, search for "Dragon."  Note that on YN this only searches for cards that have "Dragon" in the name, description, or effect, it will not pull up all dragon monsters, so that must be checked out later.  However, it does show some useful cards, such as "Dragon's Rage" and "Cards of Consonance".  Some specific deck-beneficial Spell/Traps may still escape the radar, though.  DN solves this problem by having separate Name and Description search boxes.

Links
    Deck Building Guide Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW2cahDB4Cbc2SsuMCXLZYltOEYQP2ER236qosRh9nDD7cCZ1EfKaldOsuAw

I find Yugioh Wikia to be of tremendous use while creating a deck, as it gives information on just about everything: card rulings, card tips, archetype info, deck ideas, etc.  Not to mention that they have their own card database with a crystal-clear view of the cards.

Some cards are so powerful that they are banned, limited (1 per deck), or semi-limited (2 per deck).  For a list of these cards, click here.

For Yu-gi-oh! official rules, read the official rulebook.
    To view this, you need Adobe Reader.  If you do not have it installed, go to the Adobe download page and click on the Get ADOBE READER button on the right.

Well, that's all for my tips.  Your deck building skills will evolve with each duel as you come in contact with more cards and more strategies.  Good luck!

Last edited by Mnslayer27 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Duel Points : 5044

Deck Building Guide Empty Re: Deck Building Guide

Post by Kilering Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

1.) Thanks
    2.) Did this take you a long time to set up on here? lol
    HAIR
    HAIR
    Admin

Duel Points : 2147487736

Post by HAIR Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:09 pm

I think he had it saved on his computer since he had this topic on UDA
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Either way ot mustve taken a little while...
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer

Duel Points : 5366

Post by Arab9001 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Hey guys I need help With making a good deck for Tyler the Great Warrior
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 pm

I also like the way the pictures are set up...
    MnRebel27
    MnRebel27
    Admin

Duel Points : 2147487735

Post by MnRebel27 Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Yeah, I saved it on my comp. Anyways, not sure how long it took to make, although I can tell you that finding the right picks took longer than typing up the info lol.

Arab9001 wrote:Hey guys I need help With making a good deck for Tyler the Great Warrior
    This is a guide, not a request topic. Please re-post in the deck help/request section that Hair will put up upon reading this post, as I don't feel like making it Very Happy

Kilering wrote:I also like the way the pictures are set up...
    Thanks! I had a class way back in ninth grade called Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS), and my teacher in there was fantastic. She taught us how to present things on arguably a professional level, which I consider one of the best skills I have ever learned.
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer

Post by Arab9001 Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:09 pm

This is a guide, not a request topic. Please re-post in the deck help/request section that Hair will put up upon reading this post, as I don't feel like making it Very Happy

I am not sure if he added the thing deck help/request section yet
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Well HAIRDO to the rescue...
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer