Phoenix Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Don't Back Down!!!

+5
MnRebel27
blackskull118
Suika Ibuki
Mikey.J.Fudo
HAIR
9 posters

How you got Started

HAIR
    HAIR
    Admin

Duel Points : 2147487728

How you got Started Empty How you got Started

Post by HAIR Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 am

This topic is about how you got started playing Yu-Gi-Oh

My Story-

Back in 2002 I watched the Original series on CW I think so by Christmas season I had asked for a GameBoy Advance video game called Eternal Duelist Soul . I had planned on starting playing it on the 26th but ended up opening and playing it around 11:50 pm . The following Spring they came out with the first 2 starter decks Kiaba and Yugi , I ended up using the best of both for my first real world deck.

Last edited by HAIR on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mikey.J.Fudo
    Mikey.J.Fudo
    Ra

Duel Points : 4345

How you got Started Empty Re: How you got Started

Post by Mikey.J.Fudo Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

My starting when i was very long. There was a local comic shop where i live by. I go by there every day, i pick myself up a Joey starter deck i starting to play in underground touraments in my school.

i watch all of the first yu-gi-oh ever, well not Yugi vs Yami. But When Gx came on i took a brake playing the game. Then i came back to the 5d's And i went in love with the new cards and the anime. also when zexel came i also love that
    Suika Ibuki
    Suika Ibuki
    Obelisk

Duel Points : 4293

Post by Suika Ibuki Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Wow, that goes back a ways... I was about 8 when I first got into Yu-Gi-Oh!. I watched the original show everyday after school and I got the Black Skull Dragon tin for Christmas soon after. (of course they were kinda cheap back then, I got Black Skull Dragon but none of the cards to make it, not even Poly)
    However, I had absolutely no one to play with, sad really. Then again...I didn't have many friends in my childhood after I moved to Colorado. Anyway, it so happened that in my freshman year of high school, there were lots of people interested in dueling, including Laughing Luna :3. We set up a small group to duel in during lunch at school. It felt good to wipe the dust off of my cards, very nostalgic. Been dueling regularly ever since then. That's mt story, hope you enjoyed ^^

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow. A lot of these stories sound kinda like mine. It started with the tv show. I would get up every saturday morning and watch it when I was younger(I ended up watching more of gx than the original, but they were both good in my opinion). Then, one day for christmas, I got a yami starter deck and my first deck box. In fact, I still use that deck box today. Anyways, at the time, I didn't really know how to play and didn't have anyone to play with. That's when I found the video games, my first one being 7 trials to glory for the gameboy advanced sp(still haven't finished it yet). Then, last year, I found someone at my school who played. Then, other people saw us dueling and were like "Oh, I remember when I played that," and then they started playing, again. I feel like this was incredibly lucky, and that it's made me the duelist I am. We all push each other to get stronger and become better duelists. And that pretty much sums it up.
    blackskull118
    blackskull118
    Tester

Duel Points : 4295

Post by blackskull118 Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 pm

ill just cut to the chase the origonal yugioh got me into the game but whats more is when i got on track it was 2004 when yugi was in a duel against weevil on a train operating by itself in waking the dragons saga but anyways fast forward to gx saw the 1st 2 seasons on Cartoon Network before i went to school in the morning along with another series tht even to this day i find interesting called storm hawks but anyways after the 1st season of gx thts when i started getting into the cards big time but idr when i opened my 1st pack irl i belive i was 6 idr tbh but anyways those elemental heros were pretty cool but fast forward to 2008 thts when i said im going to build a deck based on what i though couldnt be done aka synchros at the time they were impossible to get but eventually i stumbled apon my 1st synchro black rose dragon thts when my irl deck got together and here i am today dont like zexal though it kinda ruins the game with yuma
    MnRebel27
    MnRebel27
    Admin

Duel Points : 2147487727

Post by MnRebel27 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Well, like everyone else, it started with the anime. However, my mom happened to see that episode where Kaiba forced Yugi to lose. She also heard the word "souls" and disallowed me from watching or playing Yugioh.

Later on, about freshman year in high school, I bought my own computer. After catching up on the mainstream anime, I realized that I could now watch Yugioh without my mom knowing, or perhaps not caring anymore. Also, I was old enough to realize she was being far too strict. I completely devoured the original series, so much that it would be considered unhealthy.

I'm not quite sure on the timing, but I ended up re-watching it at least three times. I eventually watched GX, which I'm still not that big a fan of, and then 5D's. When I was current in the 5D's episodes, which was right around the first Synchro monsters were released irl, is when I looked for an online dueling site. I found several that were p2p and some that were downloads, but i wanted a f2p browser game. That was when I found Yugiohnetwork.

On YN, I swore that until I could consistently build good decks (qualified by beating Synchro decks) without Synchro monsters, that I wouldn't use them. It took me quite a while to get to that point, but it was fun.

I got more into Yugioh when I ran into this awesome guy on YN by the name of HAIR00 (yes, that guy *points to topic starter*). He happened to be doing something similar to me, except that he would not use the Extra Deck in general. Anyways, we ended up learning a lot from each other and becoming much batter duelists. Because of him, I started dueling more often.

I kept dueling for a while, then joined UDA within a day or two of its creation. After a few months, I learned about DN on UDA, which led to me dueling more competitively. It is there that I began finalizing a certain series of decks, and developing a strong bond with them, which arguably could be a bad thing xD

Anyways, I was walking around Target one day when I saw a Yugioh Structure deck. I checked it out and it held a good amount of cards that I used in one of my decks, so I bought three copies. That's when I first bought cards irl. However, I have yet to make an irl deck because I want to wait until I can build the deck that I am most bonded with, to further increase the bond.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh man. I forgot to tell the story on how I found DN and UDA. This pretty much continues where I left off on my first one. Basically, one of my friends found this site(not entirely sure how) and showed all of us at school. We all got DN accounts and started dueling each other with our irl decks(i had e heroes at the time). Then I decided to make a crystal beast deck. One day after that(like, a month or two) and I started a duel with someone named Dragondestroyer9(Twin Armageddons on here. not sure the username on DN). I found it funny how he was using crystal beasts against my e heroes. After a slight conversation after a duel, he mentioned that he had an e hero deck, and I mentioned that I had a crystal beast deck. We switched to those decks and dueled again(this was a start to a wonderful friendship). He then nonchalantly told me about UDA and gave me a link. I decided to try it. One of the best decisions of my life. I've gotten to meet a bunch of nice and friendly people, got infinitely better at yugioh, and most importantly, I had a lot of fun. I want to thank everyone for making UDA, as well as this academy, one of the greatest experiences of my life.
    RainbowFlash
    RainbowFlash
    Ra

Duel Points : 3842

Post by RainbowFlash Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:00 am

My Story is Driftnet. It was 8 years ago and I was 10...I was the worst at Every thing...I was the small one of the school. I was picked on day After day because of my Eyes...I meat an Old Man That Showed me A game called Cheats and I loved it. That was. Until the man Died...I felt Something in me snap...I wanted to be the best at something...I wanted to Matter...So I was being bully-ed at school one day when she told me to duel her...I had a deck because of my Big sisters love of the game and I always held it on me because it meant something to me but I never dueled till that day....When I did. I won again and again. And with that deck all there middle and high school no one beat me....right now IRL I am 183-0 Of course my first loses was on DN but that Streak is the reason I can look up at my old friend and tell him I am Some one...thank you for reading this
    MnRebel27
    MnRebel27
    Admin

Post by MnRebel27 Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I feel so bad and happy for you at the same time D:
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Duel Points : 5036

Post by Kilering Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Hmmm.. When I started?.. Was a long time ago.. Probably when I was 7yrs old... I was over at a friends house and the local channels were like " Saterday at 7/8 a.m central a new to you show will debut"... ofc that show was the original Yugioh... So after each saterday passed we watched every last one... and the next time we saw each other we would quiz each other and describe our favorite characters... Mine ofc was and is Kiba... His was Joey...And then one day we decided to get actual cards to duel eachother... We dueled anywhere, anytime, and any chance we got... We loved it.. and were hooked...(This happened across about a year and a half) Then the bad news... His mom took him to the doctor for a check-up... then they are informed that my best-friend had melanoma... with an estimated 6-months to live... we continued dueling because our time with each other now had a limit... About a month after the check-up he was hospitalized... We still dueled and watched the 3 more saterday shows... and then the day before he died... he said " Here... take my cards And keep them, so you will always be able to duel me.. and remember me..." I didn't know what to say...I was devastated at the loss of my best-friend... At the time I didn't have any Friends that dueled ...So I Kinda stopped dueling for a while.. It hurt to play Yugioh alone...Not to mention it was depressing...Then my mother and I moved Further north in oklahoma the summer before eighth grade... Still at the new school no one dueled... So then Yugioh just kinda was at the back of my mind... And academics and soccer were my only focus...It was there.. but not?... Then high-school came with 9th grade and still no one dueled..Still with the same results.... Then my sophomore year rolled around and it was like the 4th day of school and I saw what I haven't seen in a long time... PEOPLE DUELING.....so ofc I went up and watched, and was greeted by some... Sorta looked at funny by others...That day was when i met The_Batt.....My Best-friend... and the next day and almost all after that I brought my cards... and dueled with him and others... My heart-of the cards had been restored.... and my heart as well... This is a short tale of how I started...

Thanks The_Batt for bringing me back...and for all your help and support...

RIP: Tristin
    MnRebel27
    MnRebel27
    Admin

Post by MnRebel27 Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 pm

So sorry to hear about your friend...
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks... It's okay though...
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer

Duel Points : 5358

Post by Arab9001 Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:26 pm

awww, i don't even want to put my story, Kilering was amazing, it... it touched me (no homo)

Anyways, I was in Chicago and I went to, (what was it Kindergarten or 1st grade?) and I was the only one in my family at that time attending school. (I being the Oldest)
    I saw DBZ and I was AMAZED by the cartoon doing cool things and blowing up stuff, and when I saw the credits for Yu Gi Oh, i thought it was also DBZ (I thought all anime show was all part of a one consecutive series).
    Later on Saturday, I found out it was its own show on CW, and I was hooked on it like it was phonics. I never, even to this day, seen all the episodes of any Yu Gi Oh or Spin-offs. I simply don't have anytime.
    MY DAD HATES ANIME OR CARTOONS !!!! Even now I try to smuggle Duel cards into my house and deck. He wanted me to be a man, and forget about kids stuff ever since i was 9, he pushed me with this mantra. By then I knew almost everything about yugioh and almost new every card name and ability. This was in 2004... when GX came out.
    I was lost...I didnt knew what to do, play or the cards that comes out.

In Greenville, NC I got my 1st ever REAL Yu Gi Oh card from a friend. It was Ninja Grandmaster Sasuke and I started to get back into Yu Gi Oh again!!! I have yugioh wc 2007 for ds and duel master for gba color and I was in 8th grade!! (2008)
    From then and on, while my youngest brother was getting poekmon and yugioh cards like it if was drugs or something, I managed to make a deck out of the most random cards from booster deck...It was unbeatable in my house, i never lost!!!
    But in school, no one, NO ONE liked Yugioh even when I was starting in High school!!! All of these anime/manga in the japan world, and they like the freaky catgirls and emo homosexual guys and Naruto. NO ONE LIKED YUGIOH!!! I was being picked on by my friend, enemies, even my father and brothers!!!!!!
    Near my the end of my sophmore year, Edwardo had a deck, a mega, 6-8 star monster deck that he can successfully summon and tried to destroy me. We ended in a force draw when the Sub made is quit. I WAS ENRAGED How you got Started 3691450214

But as I moved back to Ohio, I found out that, people didnt care if I played Yugioh, they never insulted me and to this day wished they had some cards so they can play with me (by now i Have 3 deck, and over 200 spare cards). MY new friend Austim was intrigued by yugioh and i taught him how to play with my deck. I now have guys giving me their cards and in response i forced them to take my money when I recieved the cards.
    On day on my Xbox, my friend who played Halo Reach told me about DN when he overheard me yelling at my brothers not to mess up my Yu Gi Oh deck. There I dueled against.....Mnslayer27!!!! And now I am back to my favorite thing, Dueling!!!!
    HAIR
    HAIR
    Admin

Post by HAIR Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 pm

So many stories this is great exactly what I wanted this topic to be for. Simply put I find 2 things more interesting above all else motives and origins. So this topic ideally tells both for various members. Thank You to all that have posted so far and told your stories.
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Arab that was an amazing story....we should duel sometime..... my gamertag=seventyaxe63794
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer

Post by Arab9001 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Yo i did, im just waiting for you to accept
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Okay... I added you
    ammar2000
    ammar2000

Duel Points : 4090

Post by ammar2000 Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm

First im 13 it's a kid's card game isn't it so u shouldn't be surprised

It was 2001 in saudi arabia and I was a year old my big cousin who used to be our neighbor he started into yugioh he showed the game and rules and anime and all of that it took me a year to understand yes I new how to play when I was 2 anyway I bought a structure deck a dragon one but I can't remember the name so I started dueling him a lot and losing a lot but as I learned and learned and got better at the age of 6 I was in school and I showed everyone the game and everyone was playing it during that time my dad and mom bought me a PSP and tag force from that game that I loved I became a lot better and a booster box(it was my birthday) i then assembled a deck from the box and the two structure decks so i started beating everyone but after a year or so everyone stopped playing and I was sad then after months passed by I discovered YN I had a worm deck and a neo-spacian one then I met dartz and hairdo they showed me the academy and I got tested on YN so then I got tested and joined UDA there i met people like duel kid,blaskskull9881(wich I miss) and mnslayer after that I discovered DN so me and my cousin(another one) and a friend started playing but after a while I stopped yugioh then after a long time I decided to check on UDA and say hello but it was DELETED after a very long time I got back to yugioh and met hairdo on DN and he showed me the new academy and here I am :)Someone plz PM me and tell what happened to the old academy
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 pm

If you pm an admin they will be able to discuss the matter of Uda in private....
    HAIR
    HAIR
    Admin

Post by HAIR Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:17 pm

I will PM you once I post this

Btw Skull, DK, Slayer are all on here as well Ammar
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 am

...He is Ammar......
    Arab9001
    Arab9001
    Slifer

Post by Arab9001 Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm

YAY ANOTHER ARAB!!! HE MAY BE 1st, BUT LAST TO RESPOND!!!
    Kilering
    Kilering
    Honorary Staff

Post by Kilering Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't get it...
    ammar2000
    ammar2000

Duel Points : 4090

Post by ammar2000 Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 am